Thursday, March 12, 2009

Curb Check

Today while 'surfin the net, I ran across the joint "Curb Check" by Ob-One, which was featured on Ob-One's The Soul Season Mixtape. *insert shameless plug* Yours truly, DJ Switch, mixed and layed the cuts down on this one. The Soul Season Mixtape was one the most detailed and intricate mixtapes I have ever had to mix and manipulate. I can remember after being given all of the mixtape tracks, that it took close to 2 weeks to complete the project, due to Ob-One's O.C.D...just kidding man...I remember being up all hours of the night mixing, scratching, and doing juggles for this CD and thinking I was golden. Ob-One would come back to the studio the following morning after hearing the draft and pull a piece of paper out of his pocket with notes and times scribbled on it. With hesitance he would say something like:

"Yo Switch ... uh ... yeah at 2 minutes and 53 seconds, I'm not feelin that one scratch so lets take that out of there and I want to move around these 2 tracks..."

Even though this was frustrating, I learned what kind of producer/emcee Ob-One was. I could tell he had the mindset of: whatever effort and time you put into even the most unimportant and/or unnoticed part of a project, the more satisfaction, recognition, and notoriety will come your way. I guess I can compare it to someone attending church. The more you attend, listen, and learn, the more you get out of it. If you listen to Ob-One's Beats, you can hear that his compositions aren't something he threw together on Fruity Loops in 30 minutes. He's got dusty fingers from GoodWill if you know what I mean plus a good ear for putting together a solid track, lyrics included ...

Photobucket
Ob-One

A music career is not the only venture that has been keeping Ob-One on his grind. He recently launched a clothing line, Group Fly Clothing. Visit the site. The catalog is ill!

DOWNLOAD OR STREAM:

Ob-One's - "Curb Check"

You can hear some of my crossfadin invadin on this joint...

-DJ SWITCH

No comments:

Post a Comment